There’s no denying exercise does a body good. It’s not just about looking good; exercise has some important benefits to your health that can keep you looking and feeling young and vibrant. It’s your own personal fountain of youth! Regular activity strengthens your muscles and improves your heart and lung function; it can also reduce your risk of many major diseases, stimulate the growth of new brain cells, and add years to your life expectancy. Studies show just 30 minutes of physical activity on most days is all that’s required to reap big benefits.
The following are some of the many benefits exercise has for your health:
- Reduce asthma symptoms. Upper-body and breathing exercises can reduce the need to use an inhaler in mild cases of asthma.
- Lower your risk for cancer. Exercise helps move waste quickly through the gut, lowers insulin levels and helps regulate hormone levels, which may help reduce the risk of colon, breast and prostate cancer.
- Prevent heart attacks. Not only does exercise raise “good” HDL cholesterol and lower blood pressure, but new research shows it reduces arterial inflammation, another risk factor for heart attacks and strokes.
- The fountain of youth. Brisk walking or cycling can boost the amount of oxygen consumed during exercise. Improving your aerobic capacity can add years to your life. It has been said that aerobic exercise may also stimulate the growth of new brain cells in older adults. BREATHE!
- Regulate blood sugar. Exercise helps to control weight and increase the cells’ sensitivity to insulin which helps maintain a healthy blood-sugar level. Even brisk walking can significantly cut the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. So get out and get moving!
- Reduce infections. Workouts can increase the capacity of immune cells which can temporarily boost the immune system. Have you ever noticed that people who exercise regularly typically tend to get sick less than those who don’t?
- Reduce stress. Regular aerobic exercise reduces stress hormones. For some, it can even help relieve depression as effectively as antidepressant medication. It’s a natural mood booster and a great outlet for relieving stress! Bad day at work? Take it out on the punching bag!
- Live a longer, more vibrant life. Studies have shown that being active cuts the risk of premature death by about 50 percent for men and women. It’s no surprise that when your body is active and healthy, you live a longer, more enjoyable life!