Holiday season?can be challenging?when it comes to holding onto the healthy lifestyle habits you?ve worked so hard to cultivate throughout the year. But it doesn?t have to be that way! There are small things you can do each day through the holidays and in January?to help maintain your healthy ways.
If you?re someone who works better when you have a goal to stick to, you?ll love this?here?s a Mini-Challenge you can do?to help you stay on track this holiday season. Just follow these 5 simple steps and you?ll feel energized and healthy despite all of the temptation in your path.
1. Drink hot water + lemon first thing in the morning
- Improved digestion: Lemon juice flushes unwanted materials and toxins from your body. Hydrating also helps curb cravings.
- Balanced pH: Lemons are one of the most alkalizing foods for your body; disease states only occur when your body pH is acidic.
- Boosts immunity: Warm water and lemon juice supports the immune system by hydrating and replacing fluids lost by your body. When your body is deprived of water, you quickly?feel the side effects ?feeling tired, sluggish, constipation, lack of mental clarity, feeling stressed, etc.?Lemons are high in vitamin C, potassium, and have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
2. Eat 3 meals and 1 snack
It?s important to keep your blood sugar stable throughout the day; otherwise, you?ll end up looking for the easiest (and not necessarily the healthiest) choice when your levels drop. Do this by eating three?nutritionally balanced meals and one?whole-food snack every day. This allows you to burn your own body fat between meals.
3. Drink ? your body weight in water
This will help keep you feeling full and satiated throughout the day and?help kepp your cells hydrated. By drinking filtered water, you?ll also help your body flush toxins in your system.
4. Enjoy?cocktails or treats on the weekends only
Remember: food is love, food is celebration, and during the holidays, you?re surrounding yourself with all of that, so give yourself permission to indulge! On the weekends, allow yourself 2 cocktails and/or 2 treats (or 1 cocktail and 1 treat) at?festive celebrations.
5.?Eat 5?9 servings of fruits and vegetables daily
Load up on colorful, organic, seasonal fruits and veggies whenever possible, aiming for at least 5 servings per day or 4 1/2 cups, mostly veggies. This will provide your body with lots of fiber to keep you feeling full plus a complete range of phytonutrients?to keep you feeling your best.
Whether you indulge or maintain?your healthy habits this holiday season, my wish is
that you experience great joy and peace.?I look forward to reconnecting in the New Year!
Happy, healthy 2017!
Click here for full podcast playlist.