Click here to visit Dr. Cole’s website
Brian J. Cole, MD, MBA
Sports Medicine, Cartilage Restoration, Orthopedic surgeon
- Orthopedic sports medicine surgeon with 25 years of experience.
- Performed more than 20,000 surgeries.
- Associate Chairman and Professor in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Rush University Medical Center.
- Managing Partner of the affiliated practice Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush, one of the premier orthopedic research and clinical institutions in the world and ranked #5 in the country by its peers in U.S. News and World Report.
- Developed numerous advances in cartilage restoration, therapeutic biologics, regenerative medicine, and minimally invasive surgical techniques.
- Published over 1,000 scientific articles and textbook chapters, lectured nationally and internationally on more than 2,000 occasions.
- Named a top influencer in the field of orthopedics on Twitter.
- Co-host of the Sports Medicine Weekly Podcast for 10 years from the program’s inception as a radio talk-show on ESPN radio.
- MD and MBA from the University of Chicago
- Orthopedic residency and research training at the prestigious Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City
- Fellowship in Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh
International Leadership Roles
- President of the Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Secretary General of the International Cartilage Repair Society
Head Team Physician for the
Co-Team Physician for the
Chicago White Sox
- Board-certified in both Orthopedic Surgery and Orthopedic Sports Medicine by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery.
- Licensed to practice medicine in Illinois and Indiana.
- Active in numerous national and international societies and has held or currently holds leadership positions in:
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- International Cartilage Repair Society
- American Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine
- Second Vice-President for the NBA Physicians Association.
- With an h-index (a measure of research output and impact) of 75, Dr. Cole is among the highest published and cited researchers in the field of orthopedic sports medicine in the world.
- Head of the Cartilage Restoration Center, Professor of Orthopedics, and holds Dr. Ralph and Marian C. Falk Endowed Professorship of Biochemistry at Rush University Medical Center.
- Managing Partner of Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush, the specialty academic private practice group affiliated with Rush University Medical Center.
- Chairman of Surgery at Rush Oak Park Hospital, and leads the Rush Orthopedic Master’s Program.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Hospital for Special Surgery
- Richard O’Connor Research Award, 2020 AANA Annual Meeting
- Merit Award, 2019 ICRS World Congress
- Orthopaedic Theater Award, 2019 AAOS Annual Meeting
- Tom Heiser Compassionate Physician Award, 32nd Annual Kerlan Jobe Fellowship Reunion
- NBA Team Physician of the Year, 2012
- Cover of Chicago Magazine as Top Doctor in Chicago, 2008
- Top 3 Orthopedists in Chicago, ThreeBestRated.com®
- Yearly selected as America’s Top Doctors, Castle Connolly
- Top 28 Shoulder Surgeons in America, Orthopedics This Week
- Top 28 Knee Surgeons in America, Orthopedics This Week
- 65 Orthopedic Surgeons Recommended by Orthopedic Surgeons, Becker’s Orthopedic Review
- Brian Cole, MD, MBA | Orthopedic Surgeon Chicago | Rush University Medical Center
- Spare The Scalpel: A Surgeon’s Perspective on the Future of Orthopedic Medicine (A TEDx Talk)
- My Experience with
Superior Capsular Reconstruction
- Chicago Bulls & White Sox Physician Brian Cole: Best Practices for Maintaining an Active Lifestyle
- Live Surgical Demonstration of Lateral Meniscus & Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation
- Life Lessons with Dr. Cole – The Epiphanies of a Busy Orthopaedic Surgeon