Episode 14.27 with Hosts Steve Kashul and Dr. Brian Cole. Broadcasting on ESPN Chicago?1000 WMVP-AM Radio, Saturdays from?8:30 to 9:00 AM/c.
Segment One -?Health Counselor Karen Malkin discusses how sleep deprivation affects your body and how lack of sleep or poor quality sleep affects weight gain and carb cravings; why is it so important for brain function and memory to improve your sleep patterns?, what are the things that prevent quality sleep?, and ways to balance your sleep rhythms.
With all the health benefits outlined here, it?s clearly important to prioritize your sleep, and this can be done by establishing good sleep hygiene. Here are some tips for
achieving optimal sleep:
- Do not eat within 2 hours of sleeping. ?Eating a heavy meal before bed will lead to
poor quality sleep as the body needs to work to digest the food instead of resting, rebuilding, and detoxifying.
- Turn off the computer two hours before bed. The blue light of the screen stimulates your brain.
- Try a hot Epsom salt bath to relax your muscles and relieve stress.
- Get a massage or stretch out your muscles before bed.
- Try laying a hot water bottle on your midsection. This raises your core temperature and helps you relax.
- Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep and go to sleep at the same time each night.
- Pay attention to the days you feel great and make connections around your sleep and cravings.
Creating a pattern with your sleep habits will help ensure you get quality sleep every night. And before long, you?ll wake up feeling refreshed and watch your cravings slip away like a bad dream from long ago… Read more>>
Segment Two – Steve and Dr. Cole discuss the prevalence of overuse injuries in pro-golfers?as well as elite?athletes and?youth sports. How minutes of exposure translates into incidence of injury and how cross-training and recovery can help to mitigate this problem.
Click here for full podcast playlist.