Did you know that 1 in 4 athletes suffer from mental health? When put into perspective, that amounts to 60 million people in the United States. We typically look up to athletes as role models: Strong. Fearless. Sharp. But the demands of being an all-star involve physical, mental, and emotional pressure. Athletes may hold back from asking for help in fear their mental illness will be perceived as a weakness. The 1 in 4 Project seeks to change this common misconception. Through raising awareness and empowerment, we can start the discussion and begin improving the well being of athletes. It?s time to tackle mental illness and strengthen our sports communities in more ways than one!
Join us for a panel discussion on Tuesday, April 28,2015 from 2-5 PM at the DePaul Student Center, 1 E. Jackson Blvd., Room 8005, Chicago, IL. Panelists will include mental health professionals and members of the sports community.
Moderator:?Jon Kelley, Good Day Chicago (former Chicago Sportscaster)
- Kate Lyons, LCSW; a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and former Golf Professional
- Brian J. Cole, MD, MBA; a Professor in the Department of Orthopedics with a conjoint appointment in the Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, IL
- Greg Harden, MSW; a Supervisor of Athletic Counseling and Associate Athletic Director
- Dr. Emmett Gill, Assistant Professor at the North Carolina Central University (NCCU) Department of Social Work
- Candice Williams, MA; Program Manager of the Trust Organization (Powered by NFLPA)
- Erick Hipple, Former NFL quarterback for the Detroit Lions. Author of Real Men Do Cry. Co-author of study on depression among retired football players.
?PRE-REGISTER & MARK YOUR CALENDAR FOR THIS IMPORTANT DISCUSSION
Click here for full podcast playlist.