Episode 16.08?with Hosts Steve Kashul and Dr. Brian Cole. Broadcasting on ESPN Chicago?1000 WMVP-AM Radio, Saturdays from?8:30 to 9:00 AM/c.
Segment One:?Cole Cruz from Coalition Training in Chicago?describes the technique and benefits of?Fascial Stretch Therapy (FST) for active recovery between workouts.
12 BENEFITS OF FST
- Overall | Release scar tissue and improves mobility in joints, muscles, fascia and nervous system.
- Range of Motion | Increases space and synovial fluid even in arthritic joints; relieves general joint stiffness.
- Muscle Function | Relieves general muscle tightness and releases trigger points.
- Performance | Increases strength after inhibitions are removed and allows for free-range movement.
- Injury Reduction |?Works to fix muscle imbalances caused by repetitive activities that can impact body movement or cause pain.
- Posture & Symmetry | Adults have been observed to gain height and find it easier to maintain good posture for longer periods of time.
- Pain Reduction |?Stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system to modulate pain or remove joint and soft tissue restrictions.
- Sleep | Improved sleep for those experiencing sleep deprivation.
- Balance & Coordination | Improved ability to feel your body and feel movement.
- Well-Being | Overall feeling and sense of contentment – improved digestion and elimination.
- Nerve | Improves mobility and function in overall central and peripheral nervous systems, as well as specific nerves.
- Circulation | Decreased ankle and other swelling, along with increased urine elimination.
Segment Two:?Dr. Cole discusses his recent TEDx presentation – Spare the Scalpel: A Surgeon’s Perspective on the Future of Orthopedic Medicine – how patients can?coexist with their injury with nonsurgical solutions; use of stem cells, platelet rich plasma,?physical therapy & bracing; the overuse of technology?such as MRI.?Click this updated link to Watch the Video.
Segment Three:?Dr. Gary Calabrese?PT, DPT, Senior Director Rehabilitation and Sports Therapy at the?Cleveland Clinic and has been with the Cleveland Cavaliers for 20 years. Dr. Calabrese discusses common basketball injuries: Patellofemoral?(knee cap)?pain and ACL injuries; description, causes, diagnosis, bracing, treatment and therapy.
The REACTION WEB is a responsive, webbed approach to knee pain that provides?a distinct alternative to the basic knee sleeve and?fast relief with a unique, elastomeric web that actually pulls pain away from your knee.?the REACTION WEB can help decrease knee pain and increase function to get you back to your active lifestyle. The elastomeric web is an innovative solution that absorbs shock, disperses energy and shifts pain away from your knee. This comfortable, easy to apply solution takes the shape of your knee, with an improved design engineered for better fit and comfort.
Click here for full podcast playlist.