Episode 15.09?with Hosts Steve Kashul and Dr. Brian Cole. Broadcasting on ESPN Chicago?1000 WMVP-AM Radio, Saturdays from?8:30 to 9:00 AM/c.
Steve and Dr. Cole with Dr. Anthony Romeo, Sports Medicine, Elbow, Shoulder Orthopedic Surgeon,?Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush and?Mike Gilboe, MS, ATC,?Head Athletic Trainer?at Lake Forest College, IATA and Shoulders for Life. Discussion on the epidemic of repetitive-overuse injuries in young athletes; pitch smart program, motion-video analysis, high pitch counts, height of athlete, pitch velocity, single sport participation, throwing with pain or fatigue, poor mechanics, proper recovery techniques, UCL-Tommy John elbow surgery.
- There are lots of overuse related injuries in young athletes?why is there such an emphasis right now on shoulders and elbows?
- Who are most at risk?
- Why is there such an emphasis on overuse for baseball players?
- What new research is out there on the subject?
- Tell us?about the Shoulders for Life campaign.
- ?What about elbow injuries in baseball players?
- ?How can we?prevent an overuse injury?
Steve and Dr. Cole discuss?Cleveland Cavaliers power forward Kevin Love?who underwent surgery on his dislocated left shoulder.?His injury was officially listed as an acute anterior inferior glenohumeral dislocation with the corresponding ligament/labrum tearing and humeral head bone bruising.
Click here for full podcast playlist.