Diseases can be treated not only with medication but also with physical therapy procedures, which increase the effectiveness of the main treatment. A physical therapist knows about the positive effects of physical factors on the human body.
Many patients with injuries of varying degrees need the help of a good physical therapist to overcome such problems in their bodies. Nevertheless, this is the kind of work in which the fact of professional training will be a major factor. One should always have a desire to help people who are going through a difficult time because of their injuries. Let’s find out how becoming a physical therapist can benefit you?
Who is a physical therapist
The titles physiotherapist and physical therapist are mostly interchangeable and refer to professionals who restore motor activity and treat patients using physical therapy techniques. Physical factors include massage, heat, and cold, ultrasound, laser, magnetic fields, water, mud, and exercise. Physiotherapy is used only in combination with other therapeutic methods and is not effective as a monomethod. It speeds up the recovery of human health and reduces the duration of drug therapy.
The main duties of the physiotherapist:
- Receiving patients, selecting effective physiotherapeutic methods of treatment, determining the number of sessions;
- Conducting physical therapy procedures for the rehabilitation of patients after serious injuries and serious illnesses;
- Training nursing staff to work on physical therapy devices;
- Counseling patients to accelerate rehabilitation;
The profession of physical therapist requires the ability to constantly be aware of the latest developments in the professional sphere, willingness to master new medical equipment, skills to work with different psychological types of people, and the ability to competently combine the effects of natural and man-made factors in treatment.
Physiotherapy in modern medicine is used very widely. But it does not replace, but complements medical or surgical treatment, enhancing their results. That is why it is not used separately but in combination with other methods.
Among the disadvantages of this profession is a huge responsibility. The health and even the life of the patient depend on professionalism, so you need to be extremely attentive and as qualified a specialist as possible. The minus can be called a long period of training because without proper education this profession can not work. You need to study for six years in the full-time department, and then the young specialist expects residency.
What a physical therapist treats
Since there are many methods of physiotherapy, the physiotherapist treats almost all diseases of internal organs and systems. Physical therapists can benefit in that he or she is competent in the treatment of:
- Pathologies of the musculoskeletal system, joints;
- Respiratory and respiratory diseases, including ENT organs;
- Neurological disorders;
- Dermatological problems;
- Gastrointestinal diseases;
- Gynecological problems;
- Pathology of the urinary system.
To use physiotherapy competently, the doctor must understand the nature of physical and chemical effects, clinical and biological disciplines, and master treatment techniques. He must know the basic clinical symptoms and syndromes of diseases in which methods of physiotherapy are used, the principles of compatibility and sequence of prescribing procedures, indications and contraindications for use of physiotherapy, the technique of procedures, and safety techniques when working with equipment.
Physiotherapy treatment and rehabilitation
Physiotherapy treatment and rehabilitation are aimed at improving the function of the musculoskeletal system and other organs and systems. Patients can turn to a physiotherapist with the following health problems: back pain, cervical and headaches, joint pain, pain from overloading, muscle tension, sports injuries, post-operative recovery (restoration of joint mobility and muscle strength), and during pregnancy and preparation for childbirth.
Physiotherapy also aims at preventing possible damage to health, maintaining and improving joint mobility, increasing the strength of weakened muscles, restoring and compensating for lost functions, and alleviating pain.
- Physiotherapy of joints – physical therapy methods of treatment of joints are applied taking into account the age of patients, related diseases, clinical picture, the severity of joint damage, and the tasks to be performed.
- Physiotherapy of the knee joint – allows a positive effect of complex treatment. Physiotherapy for arthritis of the knee joint is aimed at relieving pain syndrome and achieving long-term remission. It also helps to achieve a marked increase in mobility and generally improves the quality of life of the patient.
- Physiotherapy of the shoulder joint – leads to improvement of metabolic processes, relieves pain, and increases the mobility of the shoulder. Physiotherapy treatments used include:
- Physiotherapy is the treatment of diseases of the back and spine – physiotherapy procedures lift muscle tone, relieve tension, restore damaged tissues, and have a complex effect. Procedures include the effects of heat, cold, ultrasound, magnetic fields, laser, and electric currents of various frequencies.
Where physical therapists are needed
Physiotherapists are needed in a variety of medical institutions – clinics, hospitals, sanatoriums, and medical centers. A physician can grow to become the head of a physical therapy department or head of a private clinic that provides physical therapy services. Such commercial medical centers usually quickly gain a clientele, as in recent times people are seeking more and more “environmentally friendly”, not requiring pharmacological stress on the body and allowing to get rid of the prospect of surgical intervention treatment methods. The average physical therapist income is $91,010 in 2022.
A resume in its essence is a price list because each line of it states the value of the person as a specialist and employee. You can submit a resume for the physical therapy profession on a special website, check out the ResumeSpice review.
Physiotherapy can be very effective – but only if it is carried out by professionals. It cannot be otherwise – to be able to work as a physiotherapist, you need higher medical education. In addition, you can learn the profession of a physical therapist by obtaining a second higher education or by taking a professional retraining course. In both cases, you will only be trained based on your existing medical education.
Click here for full podcast playlist.